Thursday, July 23, 2015

What Did You Call Me?

I’m middle aged and I’m not sure how I got here so quickly. I swear just last year I was 25 and sun-kissed, basking in the joys of youth. Then one day, things changed. I reached the point in life where strangers stopped addressing me as Miss, and started calling me Ma'am.

Middle Age, just like Middle Earth, is an odd and fantasy-filled place. I am living out those middle years, the underwear years, between diapers. These are the years when I am too old for a spaghetti-strap sundress, and too young to wear slippers to the store. My fantasies of being swept off my feet are replaced with finding a good podiatrist, and staying awake past midnight on New Year's Eve is a real drag. This is Middle Age. This is Ma'amhood. I have arrived. There's no turning back.


No comments:

Post a Comment