Thursday, July 9, 2015

Food Safety is a Myth

I am living proof that food safety is a myth. You name it, I have eaten it either on purpose or by accident. I have a stomach of steel and the discerning food sense of a billy goat.

I find it amusing and disturbing how people are so preoccupied with ‘sell by’ and ‘expiration’ dates. It’s all a hoax. I know someone who threw away a bag of baby carrots because they were ‘expired.’ I’m thinking, can’t you tell by looking if a carrot is rotten?  Was it juicy, stinky, moldy? No? Then eat it, don’t toss it. I was embarrassed for her. But she was probably embarrassed for me when I asked her, “You gonna eat this?” in reference to her yogurt, a month expired, in the fridge at work.  It was scrumptious. Just this week I used salad dressing that she would have tossed 14 months ago.

I thaw frozen meat (sometimes clearly freezer-burned), on the countertop overnight. I use a germ-ridden dishcloth instead of disposable wipes in my kitchen. I leave a stick of butter in the butter dish on the table without refrigeration, always. I’ve never poisoned a guest, and I’ve never been poisoned either. Maybe I've just eaten so much rancid crap that I am immune to food-bourne bacterias. Kathleen informed me this morning that a bunch of people got salmonella poisoning at a local restaurant. This is why she checks restaurants’ health department ratings online before she goes anywhere.

My friend Kathleen is obsessed with food safety. She can’t tolerate the fact that I don’t refrigerate my lunch at work. I bring it in a thermal bag, and it sits on my desk until I am ready to eat it. It could be leftovers, fruit salad, cheese – anything. I like to email her things like: “Turkey sandwich with mayo and week-old potato salad. Unrefrigerated for 5 hours. So tasty.” Her reply? “Why do you do this to me?” Kathleen gave me pink grapefruits last month. She received them as part of a Harry & David Fruit-of-the-Month Club two months earlier, and they had simply been around her house too long for her comfort. They were perfectly ripe and tart-sweet-delicious. Mmmm! She considers me a human garbage disposal for her outdated fruit. BRING IT ON! I also scored a pineapple, and became an instant advocate of fruit-of-the-month clubs everywhere.

Kathleen might stroke out if I told her that mom recently sent me to her basement freezer to retrieve black walnuts she shelled. The containers were labeled 1974 and 1978. She shelled them alright - during the Ford Administration. Regardless, we had fun baking a delicious black walnut cake, and nobody knew the nuts were as old as disco.


5 comments:

  1. #youaretoomuch And I love it! you should come over and share in the expired yumminess with my parents! I'd happily trash all the 'expired' food but they are mortified at the mere thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen shared this post with a fellow food safety advocate, who then emailed me her thoughts: "You had me laughing as you described your ability to consume foods that are not fit for human consumption per the current properly-prepare-and-store-food guidelines. We need to get a stool sample from you (and then not wash our hands) to see what kind of bacteria you have in your gut."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it you've not shared your apple experiment with Kathleen? Of course, you didn't eat it, either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen's daughter was in my office and handled the apple. Kathleen told her "Don't touch that!!!" and her daughter dropped it and wiped her palms on her fashion-forward duds. I picked it up and tried to show her how cool it was, but she was afraid.

      Delete
    2. I need to blog about the apple(s). There have been 3, but I need to make a new one if I want a photo.

      Delete