Saturday, September 19, 2015

Carousel Horse

In my late teens and twenties, I wrote poetry in times of confusion. I've decided to dig some of them out of the file cabinet this weekend. Carousel Horse is about my urge to move around a lot after college. I had 5 different addresses in 4 states (two time zones) between December 1992 and August 1994. Moving around and starting over was always both exciting and sickeningly sad for me. I could never sort out in my head what I was supposed to do or where I was supposed to be. I suppose this is true for tons of people in their early twenties, but not everyone bounces around the country in the process. I used to brag that everything I owned could fit in my Oldsmobile.

Carousel Horse, 11/27/1993
A smile on a painted face,
An easy road,
A steady pace.
Predetermined destination,
No vagabond inclination.
No searching soul or shedding tear,
No goodbyes filled
With love, with fear.
Existing void of grief and pain,
No memories to retain.
A carousel horse I yearn to be -
But if I were,
I'd yearn to run free.

Also found in my file cabinet, this picture from December 1993. What you cannot see, are the stirrup pants and penny loafers. This was taken in PA, but by the time it was developed, I was living in Minnesota.

1 comment: