Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Midday Run

She popped into my office doorway at 9:00 a.m. "We are running at 11:00."

Wait, what?  Who is "we?"

It is common knowledge among colleagues in my department that I try to walk everyday for 30 minutes around lunchtime. Usually outdoors. They see me duck out in shorts and a t-shirt in all kinds of weather. This began last Spring when I started to lose an eventual 40 pounds. Gina's office is across the hall, and she knew I had a change of clothes and sneakers in my office for this purpose. She is training for her first 5K in three weeks, and was feeling insecure.

"Gina, I sweat. Badly. There's no way I can run in the middle of the day at work! Plus I don't have a sports bra handy. NO!"

"But you ran this race last year and you need to keep me on task. I only have 3 weeks left to train."

"True, but not my problem."

"How about we just do 10 minute spurts? Please?"

I looked at her. She is 7 years my junior, long and lean. She probably weighs 115 pounds after bearing 3 children. She waited. She was adorable. I couldn't say no.

"Okay, but just this once because it's a Friday and I don't have any afternoon meetings." By her reaction, you would have thought I told her it was Christmas.


11:45 rolled around and we finally got out the door. She had one of those training apps on her phone, so I followed her lead when to run and when to walk. Running in tandem with someone was odd for me. When I run with Marty, we run at our own paces. "Don't let me hold you back," I said when it became evident that my breathing was labored and hers was not." She breezily replied, "No worries," with the healthy breath of a thin person. She was able to hold a conversation with herself while we ran. I was wheezing and gasping for air like a drowning person. She asked me if I was alright. I nodded. She said her legs burned. I didn't believe her.

We stumbled back into the office. She was not visibly sweating. I was drenched. I was also late for my lunch date with Susie. I thought of just dashing off to her office in my shorts, but then I remembered she was filling in for someone else in a location visible by one or more Deans. I quickly emailed her that I would be there in 10 minutes, and closing my office door, I flung aside my running gear, pulled on my jeans (casual Friday) and blouse. The jeans clung to my still-sweating body, heat was radiating from my face, and sweat was dripping down my spine. My hair? I felt like I was wearing a wool turban.

I quickly made my way to Susie's office. She looked up as I rounded the corner. "What happened to YOU?" she asked.

"Give me a fan," I demanded, "Quick!" She passed me a file folder. I couldn't fan my face fast enough. I told her my story. When I was done, she remarked that my run was ridiculous and that she needed a sandwich. Susie McTurkin is unflappable. Her dry humor and practical sense are magnificent. We have been friends for almost 15 years, despite my sincere suggestion - my insistence - that she name her son Gherkin McTurkin. Who doesn't love a Baby Gherkin? To my disappointment, they opted for a name much less exciting.

We ate together and enjoyed each other's company. A brief moment of nausea passed over me. I made a mental note not to scarf down a 6-inch Italian sub 10 minutes after a run. As I stood to leave, I saw that the creases in my jeans were damp from sweat, leaving a wet V from hips to crotch. Nice touch.

"No one will really notice it," Susie assured. "It kind of blends with the dye of the denim."

"Good.  How do I look otherwise?"

"Red," she said. "Wet."

"Can we call it a luminous flush?"

"No. You look ill." You can always trust Susie to say it like it is.

I navigated the hallways back to my office, bedraggled, thinking, "Please don't run into anyone you know please don't run into anyone you know..."  My wish came true until I rounded the last bend.

"Oh, hi!" my colleague said, "Did you just shower? Why is your hair wet?"

To make things better, back in my office I saw an email for an impromptu 2:00 meeting. I had 30 minutes to get my act together. I had an orchestra of rowdy wet curls to tame, a crotch-V to dry, and I could now smell myself. It was not BO, but the musky sour-sweet smell of rotting cleavage. Boob sweat was trapped in its polyester casing with no chance of drying out before Saturday. I marched into Gina's office - she looked as fresh as a daisy - and told her she had doomed me. She smiled and said she had a ton of energy and felt great, didn't I feel great?

"Do I LOOK like I feel great?"

Our eyes locked. Gina paused before answering. "Yes?  But you might want to wear a hat to your meeting."

Keeping one of these in my office might not be a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment